Even though diamonds are a traditional gem, you still have options. You can choose either lab-grown or natural as well as colored varieties.
Benefits of Diamonds
1. Traditional: Perhaps the number one advantage of a diamond is the classic look you get. It’s well-known and incredibly luxurious.
2. Durable: Another top benefit is the unbeatable durability. Scoring a perfect 10 on Mohs Hardness Scale, diamonds are the hardest natural substance on earth.
3. Versatile: Because diamonds are most often colorless, they make a great versatile gem for an engagement ring. They go well with every metal type and can be paired with colorful accent gems.
Downsides of Diamonds
1. Cost: One of the biggest downsides to a diamond is the cost. Because of their luxury, they can be quite expensive even on the lower end, with the price increasing with the quality.
2. Generic: Most engagement rings use a diamond, which makes some people feel like they have a generic ring.